Monday, January 19, 2009

Pre-Valentine Cases Part 1: Lies We Tell Ourselves

I heard this story months ago.

Meet friend number 1. Uber-cheesy. The kind of person who believes in the power of love and good trumps evil. Really, his principles are in la-la-la land.

He told us his girlfriend asked for a cool off. Not a good sign. They have been in cool-off mode for like three months already when he told his story. WTF?!? A three-month long cool-off? What is cool-off anyway? I immediately told him to use his cool-off time to determine whether it is still worth it to be in the relationship, to wait. Besides, he cannot be prosecuted if he found someone new. They were on a “cool-off”.

He did some really stupid things though. He got drunk with some friends, and kissed a friend of his while asleep. He apologized to her though, but still, being intoxicated and lonely ain’t an excuse.

I told him that lowered my opinion of him. I thought he was a gentleman, someone chivalrous. But I did try to be open-minded about it though. Besides, it was just a kiss, but still, he stole it in the most ill-mannered way. Later, I discovered he was lying about the timeline of the “cool-off”. They’ve been that way for seven months. But you know what I really thought? That they’ve already broken up, and that he’s just deluding himself out of his heartache. I told him what I thought. He brushed me off. Can’t handle it I guess, but that’s what he needs, to move on, to find someone new. I dunno. Last I heard he's meeting new lady acquaintances.

3 comments:

. said...

Seven months is a very very long time for a cool off. Nag-iilusyon siya na sila pa rin pero matagal na sila break.

Dagger Deeds said...

Ewan ko ba. Hanggang ngayon ayaw niya aminin an break na sila. Parang di nya talaga masabi. One year na kaya sa March. Natatawa nga ako, eh. At least he's meeting people already.

Unknown said...

antagal nmang cool off nun tsong!